Ordained of the Ecclesia
Volume 6: Pages 273 – 289
More references on the next page.
1) Discuss the ecclesia
- Its meaning, purpose
- How is this arrangement to be used to interpret the Lord’s will
2) Discuss the different types of ordination
in the history of the Church
(John , 1 Tim 2:7, Gal 1:1, Isa 61:1, Acts , 1 John 4:1, …)
- Consider: Young’s Analytical / Strong’s
- Discuss examples
o Titus, others
3) Ordaining Elders
- What are the responsibilities (job description) of an Elder?
o Would it be appropriate to elect an Elder to fill only certain roles?
- What are the qualifications to be elected? Are any perfectly qualified?
- Are there minimum requirements?
3) Who May Elect Elders and How
- Who are voting members of the ecclesia? Are there exceptions?
- Discuss nominations vs. 1/3 balloting. (R 5350)
- Discuss benefits of having a secret voting process for elections? (Vol 6: 281-282)
- Discuss the benefits of using the stretching forth of the hand?
o What are the challenges of stretching forth the hand?
4) Ordaining of Deacons and Deaconesses
(1 Tim 3:8-13, Rom 16:3, 9; Vol 6 p. 267 & 282, Question Book p. 200)
- What was the original role of deacons ordained to serve?
- Was it an oversight of female servants when only men were selected for the original 70?
- Discuss the role of Lieutenant in an ecclesia setting. (R 5984)
5) "Clergy" and "Laity"
- Discuss a brief history of the Priest-craft
- Discuss the spirit of Antichrist as it relates to this subject
- Can this Clergy-Laity concept ever happen today to the Bible Student movement?
6) Majorities not Sufficient
- For those who are being elected for an office, what should be the attitude regarding a majority or nearly unanimous vote?
- Discuss majority, 75% and unanimous voting. (R5336)
- Discuss rounding up/rounding down in vote tallies.
7) A Paid Ministry?
- Could an ecclesia choose to pay an elder or servant?
- In what ways could this conflict with the voting/election process in the ecclesia?
- Discuss related examples from the scriptures.
MISC REPRINT ARTICLES
R. 5981 - The Hour of Temptation
R. 5955 - Danger in Spiritual Pride
R. 5921 - Love in the Classes
R. 5793 - Proper Basis of Honor in the Church
R. 5350 - Electing Elders and Deacons
R. 5336 - Choosing Elders and Deacons
R. 3171 - Responsibilities of Eldership
R. 3745 - Infallibility and Church Eldership
R. 3613 - Not Holding the Head
R. 1889 - Decently and In Order
R. 407 - The Ekklesia
R. 5984 - Pastoral Work
R. 5704 - “Serious Faults Need Correction”
Eph 4: 4, 5; Eph 4:11-13; Matt 23:2, 6-8; 2 Tim 2:24, 25; 1 Tim 5:17 (Diaglott); 1 Thes 5:12, 13; John 15:16; 1 Tim 2:7; 1 Tim 3:1-7; Titus 1:7-9; Gal 1:1; Titus 1:5; 1 Peter 5:1-3; Gal 6:6; Rom 12:6-8;
1 Tim 3:8-13; Matt ; Acts 6:3,4; Vol 6 p 254;
(Greek word diakonos also used in 2 Cor 6:4; 2 Cor 3:5,6)
Rom 16:3, 9; Vol 6 p 267, 282; R 4313, QB p 200
*Women in the Church – Vol. 6 Chap. 5; Tabernacle Shadows p 102-103
Please bring additional references to contribute